About the Programme
The Ph.D. programme of the Indian Institute of Management Kashipur is a rigorous research programme in various areas of business management and public policy. The main objective of the programme is to provide scholars with the necessary skills to undertake independent research in the field of management. The Ph.D. programme seeks candidates with outstanding academic backgrounds, intellectual curiosity and the discipline required to make a scholarly contribution. The programme is committed to train individuals to excel in their area of research through the quality publication of an international standard.
Areas of Specializations
- Business Communication
- Finance and Accounting
- Information Technology and Systems
- Operations Management and Decision Sciences
- Organizational Behaviour and Human Resource Management
- Public Policy
Candidates applying for the programme must have one of the following qualifications obtained from any of the universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under section 3 of UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India, or equivalent qualification from an institution approved by AICTE.
- A master's degree in any discipline with at least 60% marks or equivalent grade point average.
- A professional qualification - CA/ICWA/CS with graduation degree.
- 4 years / 8-semester bachelor's degree (B.E./B. Tech./B. Arch. etc.) with at least 6.5 CGPA or equivalent percentage.
Work experience in industry or academics (in reputed organizations), though not mandatory, will be given due credit in the selection process. The work experience as full-time executives or as management teachers in an organization/institution of repute is only considered as valid experience.
Those who are appearing for their final year examination in the current academic year may also apply. However, their admission to the programme, if selected, will be provisional subject to their successful completion of all requirements for completing the relevant degree before 30 June 2021 (a letter needs to be obtained by the candidate from the Head of the concerned Institution to this effect) and compulsorily producing the degree/certificate of completion by 31st December 2021 (satisfying all the eligibility criteria). The provisional admission of any such scholar (if any) subsequently failing to conform to all the stipulated admission eligibility criteria by 31st December 2021 will be summarily terminated and no further correspondence will be entertained (monthly scholarship and any other applicable grant w.e.f. July 2021 for these candidates will be released only if they clear all eligibility criteria by 31st December 2021).
As per Government of India requirements, 27% of the seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the “Non-Creamy” layer (NC-OBC), 15% for Scheduled Caste (SC), 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates, 10% for students from Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) as statutorily defined and 5% for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PWD). As defined in The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (RPwD Act 2016), “person with benchmark disability” means a person with not less than forty percent (40%) of a specified disability where specified disability has not been defined in measurable terms and includes a person with a disability where specified disability has been defined in measurable terms, as certified by the certifying authority. “Specified disability” means the disabilities as specified in the Schedule of the RPwD Act 2016. The categories of disability are:
- blindness and low vision,
- deaf and hard of hearing,
- locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy,
- autism, intellectual disability, specific learning disability and mental illness,
- multiple disabilities from amongst persons under clauses (a) to (d), and
- other ‘specified disabilities’ mentioned in ‘The Schedule’ of the RPwD Act 2016.
The candidates belonging to categories for which seats are reserved need to note and read carefully the eligibility requirements before applying. It should be noted that while it is the endeavor of IIM Kashipur that the candidates belonging to NC-OBC/OBC/SC/ST/EWS/PWD categories join the programme in proportions mandated by the law, they have to meet the eligibility criteria and a certain minimum level of performance in the selection process to be considered for final admission.
Duration of the Programme
Students are expected to complete the doctoral programme within 5 years from the date of registering for the programme.
The candidates will be shortlisted (on the recommendation of the respective areas) based on the information provided in the application form. The selection process is as follows:
- The candidates satisfying the academic eligibility criteria as mentioned above should submit their application online. Eligibility also means candidates require a standard test score, from any one of the acceptable tests (test taken in the calendar year 2018 onwards only will be considered) (except IIMB test score which should be of 2021) for the area(s) of specialization they are applying to, as shown below. Applicants to take Common Admission Test (CAT) in 2020 or depending on chosen specializations, alternative test scores in lieu of the CAT score as specified below.
| Area of Specialization || Acceptable Test Scores |
| Economics || GMAT, GRE, CAT, JRF (NET), IIMB Test |
| Finance and Accounting || GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET), IIMB Test |
| Information Technology and Systems || GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, IIMB Test, JRF(NET) |
| Marketing || GMAT, GRE, CAT, JRF (NET), IIMB Test |
| Organizational Behaviour and Human Resource Management || GMAT, GRE, CAT, JRF (NET), IIMB Test |
| Operations Management and Decision Sciences || GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET), IIMB Test |
| Public Policy || GMAT, GRE, CAT, JRF (NET), IIMB Test |
| Business Communication || GMAT, GRE, CAT, JRF (NET), IIMB Test |
- Applicants opting for GMAT or GRE should upload a copy of their official GMAT/ GRE scores along with the application. Applicants who have not received the official score card, should upload the TEST TAKER COPY along with the application, but submit the OFFICIAL SCORE CARD before the interviews.
- Applicants opting for GATE or JRF (NET) score should upload their valid SCORE CARD along with the application.
Applicants opting to take the IIMB Test should choose this option in the application.
The IIMB TEST 2021 is scheduled on February 07, 2021 (Sunday) through online mode. Further details about the conduct of the test and other requirements will be communicated to the eligible applicants separately.
For more details about the IIMB test kindly click here.
For IIMB Sample paper visit the link".
The cutoff test score for General candidates are given as:
- GMAT: 600
- CAT: 75 percentile
- GRE: 300
- GATE: 90 percentile based on (1 – Rank of the candidate/Total participants)
- IIMB test score: 75 percentile
- JRF Qualified (JRF-NET)
The cutoff test score for NC-OBC/SC/ST/PWD/EWS candidates are given as:
- GMAT: 570
- CAT: 70 percentile
- GRE: 285
- GATE: 85 percentile based on (1 – Rank of the candidate/Total participants)
- IIMB test score: 70 percentile
- JRF Qualified (JRF-NET)
- Based on the applications received, candidates satisfying the Academic eligibility criteria and acceptable standard test score, the shortlisting will be done by the respective Areas and candidates will be called for the Personal Interview (PI) which will be conducted at IIM Kashipur (online/offline) on 19th April 2021 (tentative). PI determines the academic preparation of the candidate for the specific area he/she has applied. An applicant can apply at most to two different areas of specialization.
- IIM Kashipur also expects a consistent and minimum performance under different parameters of Personal Interview (PI), which will be decided by the Admissions Committee. Candidates not meeting the minimum performance in any of the PI parameters will not be considered for the next stage of the selection process i.e. Stage-4.
- Final selection will be based on the requirements of the academic area to which the candidate has applied and an area-wise offer list that will be prepared by the Areas only.
Only the candidates satisfying the requirements mentioned in the earlier stages will be considered for the final selection. Category-wise and Academic Area-wise merit lists will be generated based on the performance in the Personal Interviews and the provisional admission offers will be made. All matters related to admission in the Ph.D. programme at IIM Kashipur is governed by the Admissions Committee.
The application fee (Non-Refundable) is:
| || 1 – Area || 2-Areas |
| Application fee - GMAT / GRE / CAT / GATE / JRF (NET)/ those with IIMB Test application id || Rs.1000 || Rs.2000 |
| |Application fee (in case you wish to write IIMB test) | |Rs.2000 | |Rs.3000
| Application fee - in case you are applying through IIMB Test application id (writing IIMB Test IIM Bangalore/ Kozhikode) || Rs. 1000 || Rs. 2000 |
Cut-off date for Writing IIMB Test through IIM Kashipur is over. Last date for submitting the application for writing the IIMB test was 26th Jan 2021.
You may transfer the money to the Institute's account through NEFT. The required details are as follows:
Beneficiary Name: Indian Institute of Management Kashipur
Beneficiary A/c No:33809601691
A/c Type: Saving Bank account
IFSC Code: SBIN0017263
Beneficiary Bank: State Bank of India
Bank Address: IIM Kashipur, Bazpur Road, Kashipur
Fellowship of Rs. 30,000/- to Rs. 35,000/- per month. Contingency grant of Rs. 1.25 Lacs, Conference grant of Rs. 2 Lacs.
Candidates seeking admission to the programme are required to submit an online application along with the required documents. The last date of submitting online application is
15th February 2021 28th February 2021.
For any technical query/problem during filling of an application form, please contact - response[at]iimkashipur[dot]ac[dot]in
For any query related to the application process, you may please contact –
+91- 7900444091 (Ext-602)