KULBHUSHAN BALOONIDirector, IIM Kashipur & Professor Economics 91-7088270882 email@example.com
Kulbhushan Balooni joined IIM Kashipur in June, 2019. Previously, he was associated with IIM Kozhikode for more than two decades. He has been a visiting faculty to National University of Singapore, University of Copenhagen, Uppsala University, Wageningen University and the University of Tokyo. He was Director (i/c), IIM Kozhikode during the period 2014-18. He was also involved in instituting IIM Amritsar as mentor director.
He undertook post-doctoral research in the University of Tokyo, and doctoral research at the RBI Endowment Unit, Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA). He is a Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD) fellow.
He undertakes interdisciplinary research on environment, resources, development policy and sustainability, and agribusiness in the context of developing countries. Within this broad area, he focuses on conservation, decentralization and local governance, CSR, and social entrepreneurship. His research has featured in Conservation Letters, Conservation and Society, Economic & Political Weekly, International Journal of the Commons, Landscape & Urban Planning, and World Development among other journals.
He is currently working on two papers. One paper focuses of strategic CSR in agribusiness in the context of Indian family-owned business entities. This paper highlights that the firms involved with agribusiness in India are trying to align their CSR activities with strategic objectives. Another paper explores how different stakeholders involved in the agricultural value chain namely government, private sector, civil society organizations and social entrepreneurs are improving the lives of smallholder farmers in Africa and India. It brings to light on how the world is gradually moving from aid-dependent development to trade- and business-dependent development, and to a point where multi-stakeholder collaboration is vital for inclusive sustainable development.
- Balooni, K., Menon, V., & Asokan, S. M. (2019). Self-reliance versus State Responsibility. Economic & Political Weekly, 54(9), 48-56.
- Venkatachalam, L., & Balooni, K. (2018). Water transfer from irrigation tanks for urban use: Can payment for ecosystem services produce efficient outcomes? International Journal of Water Resources Development, 34(1), 51-65.
- Balooni, K., & Vekatachalam, L. (2018). Payment for ecosystem services to sustain Kudimaramathu in Tamil Nadu, Economic & Political Weekly, 53(6), 21-23.
- Balooni, K. (2017). Sustaining impactful multidisciplinary contributions over five decades: An interview with Professor Ramadhar Singh, Distinguished University Professor, Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University. IIMB Management Review, 29(2), 136-151.
- Balooni, K., & Venkatachalam, L. (2016). Managing water for sustainable development: An Indian perspective. IIM Kozhikode Society & Management Review, 5(1), 7-13.
- Balooni, K., Gangopadhyay, K., & Kumar, B. M. (2014). Governance for private green spaces in a growing Indian city. Landscape and Urban Planning, 123(March), 21-29.
- Balooni, K., & Lund, J. F. (2014). Forest Rights: The hard currency of REDD+. Conservation Letters, 7(3), 278-284.
- Gangopadhyay, K., & Balooni, K. (2012). Technological infusion and the change in private, urban green spaces. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 11(2), 205-210.
- Balooni, K., Gangopadhyay, K., Turakhia, S., & Karthik, R. G. (2012). Challenges in the sustainability of a targeted health care initiative in India. IIM Kozhikode Society & Management Review, 1(1), 21-32.
- Balooni, K., Kalro, A. H., & Kamalamma, A. G. (2010). Sustainability of tunnel wells in a changing agrarian context: A case study from South India. Agricultural Water Management, 97(5), 659-665.
- Lund, J. F., Balooni, K., & Puri, L. (2010). Perception-based methods to evaluate conservation impact in forests managed through popular participation. Ecology and Society, 15(3).
- Balooni, K., Lund, J., Kumar, C., & Inoue, M. (2010). Curse or blessing? Local elites in joint forest management in India’s Shiwaliks. International Journal of the Commons, 4(2), 707-728.
- Yamashita, U., Balooni, K., & Inoue, M. (2009). Effect of instituting “Authorized Neighborhood Associations” on communal (Iriai) forest ownership in Japan. Society and Natural Resources, 22(5), 464-473.
- Lund, J. F., Balooni, K., & Casse, T. (2009). Change we can believe in? Reviewing studies on the conservation impact of popular participation in forest management. Conservation and Society, 7(2), 71-82.
- Balooni, K., & Inoue, M. (2009). Joint forest management in India: The management change process. IIMB Management Review, 21(1), 1-17.
- Balooni, K., Kalro, A. H., & Kamalamma, A. G. (2008). Community initiatives in building and managing temporary check-dams across seasonal streams for water harvesting in South India. Agricultural Water Management, 95(12), 1314-1322.
- Balooni, K., Pulhin, J. M., & Inoue, M. (2008). The effectiveness of decentralisation reforms in the Philippines’s forestry sector. Geoforum, 39(6), 2122-2131.
- Balooni, K., & Singh, K. (2007). Prospects and problems of afforestation of wastelands in India: A synthesis of macro-and micro-perspectives. Geoforum, 38(6), 1276-1289.
- Balooni, K., & Inoue, M. (2007). Decentralized forest management in South and Southeast Asia. Journal of Forestry, 105(8), 414-420.
- Balooni, K., Ballabh, V., & Inoue, M. (2007). Declining instituted collective management practices and forest quality in the Central Himalayas. Economic and Political Weekly, 42(16), 1443-1452.
- Ballabh, V., Balooni, K., & Dave, S. (2002). Why local resources management institutions decline: A comparative analysis of van (forest) panchayats and forest protection committees in India. World Development, 30(12), 2153-2167.
- Balooni, K., & Ballabh, V. (2000). Managing village plantations through tree growers co-operatives: Emerging issues and policy implications. Agricultural Economics Research Review, 13(1), 52-70.
- Balooni, K. (2000). Teak investment programmes: An Indian perspective. Unasylva, 51(201), 22-28.
- Singh, K., & Balooni, K. (1997). Tree growers' cooperative: Farm forestry in India. Journal of Forestry (USA), 95(10), 32-35.