Probir Banerjee has a blend of industry and academic experience of over 35 years. He completed his MBA from Fort Hays State University, Kansas, USA and his Ph.D. from City University of Hong Kong. He has several years of IT management experience in banking and retail sectors in India, Hong Kong and Canada. Before joining IIM Kashipur, Probir was a Visiting Research Fellow at University of Malaya and Associate Professor at the Malaysian campus of Swinburne University of Technology, Australia. He won a competitive grant from the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education for researching on Malaysian health care services.
Probir has published extensively in international journals and refereed conferences. His publications have appeared in ISI indexed journals such as Decision Support Systems, Communications of ACM, Journal of B2B marketing, Journal of Organisational Computing and Electronic Commerce, Information Systems Frontiers. Many of his teaching cases in finance, international business and IT are distributed by Harvard Business School. His teaching cases have been published in HEC Montreal’s Journal of Case Studies in Management and Journal of Information Technology Case and Applications Research. He is on the editorial board of Journal of Global Information Management (ISI indexed) and Journal of Information Technology Cases and Applications Research and Managing Editor of the International Journal of Management, Economics and Social Sciences. He has chaired conference tracks in international conferences such as the Hawaii International Conference on Systems Science, Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems, and Society for Design and Process Science Conference, presented papers in several international conferences in the US, Hong Kong and China, and delivered invited talks at University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Curtin University, Malaysia Campus, Symbiosis University, Pune, and Korean Business School, Korea. He has served as external assessor of Ph.D. thesis dissertation evaluation committees for University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur and University of Malaya, Sarawak, Malaysia.
His research is cross-disciplinary and he currently focuses on the impact of emerging IT on IT architecture, entrepreneurship, business strategy and cyber-law for cross-border transactions. He has special interest in researching issues pertaining to impact of technology on health care, supply chain and national e-governance strategies.
- Selected Journal Publications
- Banerjee P., Ma, L. and Shroff, R: (2013): E-Governance Competence: A Framework: Electronic Governance – International Journal.
- Banerjee, P. Latifah, S., Badruddin S. and Agrawal, A. (2013): Absorptive Capacity: Essence of the Construct and its Determinants: The Journal of Academy of Business, Cambridge , 19(1).
- Banerjee P. (2013): Publication Ethics for Researchers – International Journal of Management, Economics and Social Science,2 (1)- pp 1-5
- Banerjee, P. (2013) : Trust in E-Business: Importance of the Trials Process; Journal of Business to Business Marketing (ISI) – Forthcoming
- Banerjee, P., Limayem, M. and Ma, L. (2013): Entrepreneurship and IT Complementarity: The Case of People’s Remittance and Exchange Service; International Journal of Case Studies in Management –HEC , Montreal – Forthcoming
- Banerjee, P.(2014): IT –Pay-Off: Tracing the Antecedents- International Journal of Technology and Human Interaction (Scopus)- Forthcoming
- Banerjee, P. and Ma. L. (2011); Partial Assimilation of Technology; Prognosis and Remedial Measures: Journal of Organisational Computing and Electronic Commerce
21(2), pp 93-110- (ISI)
- Banerjee, P. and Ma. L. (2011); E-Business Routinisation by Small Firms: A Study in the Context of B2B E-Markets – Information Systems Frontiers- DOI 10.1007/s10796-011-9329-6 (ISI)
- Banerjee, P., Wei, K.K. and Ma. L. (2010); The Role of Trialability in B2B e-business Adoption: Theoretical Perspectives from Two Case Studies - Behavior and Information Technology - Published Sep 2010: Available online (ISI)
- Limayem, M., Banerjee, P. and Ma, L.(2006); Impact of GDSS: Opening the Black Box - Decision Support Systems ; 42(2); pp- 945-957 (ISI)
- Lee, D.; Banerjee, P; Lim, K.H.; Kumar, K.; Hillegersberg, J Van,; Wei, K.K. (2006):
Aligning IT components to achieve agility in globally distributed system development; Communications of the ACM; 49(10); pp- 48-54 (ISI)
- Banerjee, P, Ma, L. (2006); E-Government: Are federated initiatives better? A case study of Kunshan, PRC; Journal of Information Technology Cases and Applications Research, 9(2), pp- 58-75.
- Selected Conference Proceedings
- Banerjee, P. and Bagha Hamid (2014): EMR Adoption by Small Clinics in Malaysia: An exploratory study and theoretical explanation; Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems, Chengdu, PRC, June 2014,
- Banerjee, P. and Bagha Hamid (2014): Malaysia’s National Health Exchange: Deployment Barriers and Solutions: An Exploratory Study; Conference of Society of Design and Process Science, Kuching, June 2014
- Banerjee, P.; Salleh, N.A.M.; Rohani, A.M.M. (2011): ERP Customisation, User Satisfaction and Operational Performance of Organisations: Investigating the Links; 17th Americas Conference on Information Systems, Detroit Michigan, USA, Aug 5-7, 2011.
- Banerjee, P. Latifah, S., Badruddin S. and Agrawal, A. (2012): Absorptive Capacity: Essence of the Construct and its Determinants: The Finance, Economics and Global Business Research Conference, Miami, Florida, USA, Dec 13-16, 2012
- Banerjee, P., Shiu, W. and Sia, C.L. (2008); Impact of Resource Constraints on ERP Implementation by an SME Firm: An Exploratory Study. Proceedings of Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems, Suzhou, China, July 4-6, 2008
- Khalifa, M., Banerjee, P. and Ma, L. (2003); Strategies for Successfully Deploying e-Markets: Lessons from the China Context; Proceedings of the 36th Hawaii International Conference on Systems Science, Hawaii Jan 2003.
- Zhang, L., Lee; K.O. Matthew; Zhang, Z.and Banerjee, P. (2003); Critical Success Factors of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems Implementation Success in China; Proceedings of the 36th Hawaii International Conference on Systems Science, Hawaii Jan 2003.
- Markus, M.L.; Banerjee, P. and Ma, L. (2002); Electronic Marketplaces in Hong Kong’s Trading Industry; Proceedings of the 35th Hawaii International Conference on Systems Science, Hawaii, Jan 2002.
- Management of Systems – Hong Kong Polytechnic – Sep 1988 to April 1991(P/T)
- Systems Analysis and Design – City University of Hong Kong - Sep 2001-Dec 2001
- Legal and Ethical Issues in IS – City University of Hong Kong – Sep 2003-Dec 2004
- Financial Information Systems- City University of Hong Kong – Sep 2003-Dec 2004
- Management Information Systems – University of Malaya – March to April 2011
- Information Systems Doctoral Seminar – University of Malaya – Sep 2011 to Oct 2011
- Professional Issues in IS – Swinburne University of Technology, Sarawak, Malaysia – Feb to May 2012, September to December 2012, Feb to May 2013, September to December 2013 , Feb to May 2014 (In progress)
- Software Project Practices and Management – Final year undergraduate students, Feb to May 2013, September to December 2013 & Feb – May 2014
International Journal of Information Management- 2003
MIS Quarterly- 2006
Information Systems Journal - 2007
IEEE Transaction on Engineering and Management - 2005, 2006
Behavior and Information Technology- 2009, 2010, 2011
Information Systems Frontiers – 2010, 2011
Electronic Commerce Research and Applications - 2010
Communications of AIS - 2011
Journal of Global Information Management – 2012, 2013, 2014
Pacific Asia Journal of Information Systems – 2013, 2014
Journal of Information Technology Cases and Applications Research- 2012, 2013
Hawaii International Conference on Information Systems- 2002 and 2003
International Conference on Information Systems - 2002, 2005, 2007
European Information Systems Conference - 2009
Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems - 2001, 2002, 2005, 2014
Americas Conference on Information Systems – 2002
IRMA International Conference - 2002
ICIS - 2012, 2013
Academy of Management - 2014