Safal Batra is a faculty member in the Strategic Management area at IIM Kashipur since March 2015. He completed his masters from IIM Calcutta and doctorate from IIM Ahmedabad. His dissertation, exploring innovation in small businesses, was conferred the IFCI best thesis award at IIM Ahmedabad. His current research interests include entrepreneurial personality and cognition, performance of small businesses, and the dark side of entrepreneurship. He is specifically interested and engaged in developing tourism and agricultural start-ups. His research work has been published in International Small Business Journal, Journal of Knowledge Management, Australian Journal of Management, and Journal of Entrepreneurship, among others. He has been on the editorial board of New England Journal of Entrepreneurship. His research paper titled - “The seeds of legitimacy: Why some new ventures are more desirable than others”, presented at the Southwest Academy of Management, was awarded the McGrawHill Distinguished Paper Award in 2017. He was selected for the Global Representatives workshop at the Academy of Management conference held in Orlando in 2013. He was a visiting Fellow at the National Taiwan University of Science and Technology in 2018.
Safal teaches core courses on Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management in the MBA program, as well as PhD seminar course on Entrepreneurship. He has designed and delivered many MDPs on Strategic Leadership and Management for corporates like Bharat Electronics, National Academy of Defence Production, NTPC, HAFED etc. He has also conducted numerous open MDPs on Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship through online channels. He is the chairperson of the "Foundation for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development" - the entrepreneurship incubation centre at IIM Kashipur. The centre, run with the assistance of Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana, and the Department of Science and Technology, seeks to incubate promising start-ups of Uttarakhand. He has been a visiting faculty at many institutes like IIM Shillong, IIM Amritsar and IMT Ghaziabad.
- Batra, S. (2021). Case Analysis II: AGR Challenge for Bharti Airtel and Vodafone Idea. Vision, 25(2), 258-260.
- Gupta, A., Batra, S., & Gupta, V. K. (2020). Gender, culture, and implicit theories about entrepreneurs: A cross-national investigation. Small Business Economics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-020-00434-9
- Batra, S., & Yadav, R. (2019). Case Analysis-II: A Puff of Smoke, a Hole in the Pocket, Fissure in the Lungs and Profit in Millions. Vision, 23(3), 320-321.
- Batra, S., Sharma, S., Dixit, M. R., & Vohra, N. (2018). Does strategic planning determine innovation in organizations? A study of Indian SME sector. Australian Journal of Management, 43(3), 493-513.
- Chaudhary, S., & Batra, S. (2018). Absorptive capacity and small family firm performance: Exploring the mediation processes. Journal of Knowledge Management. 22(6), 1201-1216.
- Chaudhary, S., & Batra, S. (2018). Proposing a sequential operationalization of absorptive capacity. Measuring Business Excellence, 22(1), 64-74.
- Batra, S., & Sharma, S. (2017). Stronger may not be better: organizational identity strength and performance of Indian SME s. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 55(2), 234-254.
- Batra, S. (2017). How do new ventures attract and retain talented employees? The case of Shaadisaga. Human Resource Management International Digest, 25(2), 1-3.
- Batra, S. (2017). Controlling volatility but not growth: Firms’ strategic orientations. Strategic Direction, 33(3), 5-7.
- Gupta, V. K., & Batra, S. (2016). Entrepreneurial orientation and firm performance in Indian SMEs: Universal and contingency perspectives. International Small Business Journal, 34(5), 660-682.
- Batra, S., & Vohra, N. (2016). Exploring the linkages of cognitive style and individual innovativeness. Management Research Review, 39(7), 768-785.
- Batra, S. (2016). Do new ventures benefit from strategic change or persistence? A behavioral perspective. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 29(2), 310-319.
- Batra, S., Sharma, S., Dixit, M., & Vohra, N. (2016). Measuring the effectiveness of strategic planning: Proposing a second order operationalization. Measuring Business Excellence. 20(3), 15-25.
- Batra, S., Sharma, S., Dixit, M. R., Vohra, N., & Gupta, V. K. (2015). Performance implications of industry appropriability for manufacturing SMEs: The role of technology orientation. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 26(5), 660-677.
- Batra, S., Sharma, S., Dixit, M. R., & Vohra, N. (2015). Strategic orientations and innovation in resource-constrained SMEs of an emerging economy. The Journal of Entrepreneurship, 24(1), 17-36.
- Batra, S. (2015). Fighting for innovation: Exploring the role of conflicts in enabling team innovation. Strategic Direction, 32(1), 11-12.
- Batra, S., & Pollitt, D. (2014). Building a culture of creativity at Moving Pixels Company: Informality, openness and respect support hard-working employees. Human Resource Management International Digest, 22(6), 24-26.
- Sonal, G., Chaudhary, S., & Batra, S. B. A New Approach for Efficient Clustering Using CECM Algorithm in WSN.
- Batra, S. (2104). Fostering Learning and Creative Thinking in Small Businesses. Biz and Bytes, 1(5).
|3||Seminar Course on Research in Entrepreneurship|
Paper titled “The seeds of legitimacy: Why some new ventures are more desirable than others” presented at the Southwest Academy of Management awarded the McGrawHill Distinguished Paper Award.
Awarded IFCI Best Thesis Award at IIM Ahmedabad.
Awarded scholarship to attend Academy of Management 2013 BPS Global Representatives Workshop. August, 9, 2013, Orlando.
Awarded SAMS/JMS sponsorship to attend ‘Journal of Management Studies doctoral workshop’. Cambridge, March 2014.
Awarded full sponsorship to attend ‘Annual Global Conference of Entrepreneurship and Technological Innovations’, IIT Kanpur, December 9, 2012.
Awarded conference scholarship to attend Strategic Management Society's special conference, Singapore, June 7, 2012.
Chairperson of Foundation for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development.